Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A sewer, a snake, and the law of attraction

Are you thinking a cobra, boa, or a rattler? Cool snakes, but not quite.

For a couple of years I have been studying The Law of Attraction. I've watched movies, read books, gone to seminars, all in an effort to design my perfect life. It's funny how the road I was on took a detour.

Several years ago, I had gotten into the fix and flip business. Handyman that I am, I had just about every tool needed to rehab any house. You may have guessed it, what I lacked was a power drain snake. My business went belly up and I no longer do fix and flips.

If you happen to be a follower of The Law of Attraction yourself, you may have come across somebody talking about 7 universal laws. I even came across a website that said there were only 5 universal laws. I figured these laws needed another law. I call it The Law of Distraction.

The nice things about my Law of Distraction is you can make up anything that fits within this law. I've tried many times to attract wealth and it hasn't happened. I've tried to attract numerous things and it hasn't happened. So I started wondering how could this be. I thought I was doing all the right things, visualizing, writing goals, building desire, cutting out photos for the vision board and even going to seminars, but I still have not felt like I had attracted the things that I desired. The things that did pop up in my life made me wonder if the universe had a twisted sense of humor and I was on the receiving end of a practical joke.

When I came across the series of books written by Esther and Jerry Hicks, I began to see things in a new light. I had been focusing on the things that I wanted, but I would drift also to the things that I did not want. A visual metaphor that works for me is like the difference between a ping-pong table and a golf tee shot. In life you can be the golf ball and be launched or you can let yourself be just bouncing back and forth like on the ping-pong table. The more distractions that you have allowed to take your eyes off your goals, the more like ping-pong the game of your life gets.

So what does this have to do with a sewer, a snake or the Law of Attraction. I had wanted a 50' powered drain snake to run through the sewers of the houses that I rehabbed. Seeing how my business didn't make it, I dropped that idea of ever needing, much less owning a drain snake. Sunday night, Lisa asks me why is there so much water on the basement floor. Like a good handyman, I go get my flashlight and investigate. Our sewer was plugged up and all the water, from the sinks, shower, laundry, toilet was on the floor. It was late at evening and we couldn't do much other than promise each other we would not flush. The next day, you guessed it, I got a new 50' powered drain snake. I really don't know anybody else that would get thrilled by a purchase such as this, however, I am an avid tool nut.

So, as a word of encouragement, hang in there with the things you are looking to attract. Distractions will always be there. You can let distraction become a law to you, but hey, it is your life, make it exactly as you want it, not what circumstances dictate.

I still have not attracted wealth, but I do have a much better attitude. I bet you were waiting for me to write that I have a much better attitude to enjoy my poverty, and that may be true, but I have attracted the love of my life in Lisa, I've attracted a family (I never had kids), and now I've attracted a 50' power drain snake. I really enjoy the increase in happiness, and the rest will follow in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment