Thursday, January 8, 2009

Left turn to a long day

It started out as a normal day. Put the coffee on, opened the curtains, and basked in the warm glow of the morning sun.

I went outside to start the car and scrape the frost off the windshield. I got to the corner and I needed to turn left. Traffic was clear and I made it almost all the way across the street when I finally noticed that I had pulled in front of a car that was making a left onto the street which I had just left. I was quite startled and asked my girlfriend, where did that car come from? She snickered at how rattled I was. So I told her I had not seen that car until I was across the street.

I find it interesting how an incident like that has such power over me. For the rest of the day, I couldn't get it out of my mind. And while it was on my mind, I had a hard time focusing on the good things in my life. I had unwittingly opened the doorway to a negative stream of thinking, and my good mood had gone sour. My inner critic tied me to the whipping post.

In years gone by, I would have chalked it up to One of Those Days. I mean, any kind of excuse would do as long as I didn't have to see myself as the cause.

I am beginning to become aware of the cause and effect relationship in my life. I enjoy reading and recently have gotten hooked on The Law of Attraction by Esther and Jerry Hicks . Their insight has really helped me see how my thoughts create my mood, my day, my week, my life. So I am quite a bit more deliberate now in my thinking, and I pull myself back to a better attitude before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment