Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Obama on Al-Arabiya network

President Barak Obama had his first interview with the Arabic network. I'm not here to get all political, but I'd like to draw some parallels to help us in becoming our best.

There's that endless cycle of art imitating life, and life imitating art. In a similar manner, the outside world reflects our inner world, and the inner world reflect the outside world.

In art, we have the "Good Cop, Bad Cop" type which Hollywood has given us. I've never been arrested, so I apologize if my metaphor is off. Here is Barak Obama portraying the Good Cop, and in the Arab world, George Bush portrayed the Bad Cop. Abraham Lincoln said, "If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend." I don't know if Mr. Obama is looking for friendship in the Middle East, but he is delivering some tough love.

If we take this moment in history and personalize it, perhaps we can see the Good Cop, Bad Cop within our mind pushing us toward our ideal life. Both Presidents, Mr. Bush and Mr. Obama have our countries best interests in mind, though both have dramatically different approaches to the situation. In a similar sense, a split mind will see the same situation through different lenses and differing approaches.

If you have your own personal conflict within, maybe watching external events unfold, such as Mr. Obama on Al-Arabiya, can give you the hope that you need. Rest assured that peace within is possible. And the effect of that inner peace just might be a smile to someone who needs it, or a friendly word, or it may go so far as to give a helping hand.

There is a line in a spiritual song that goes, Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me". However, for peace to begin with me, it has to begin inside of me, inside my mind, inside my soul. And Louis Armstrong sang, "What a Wonderful World".

Click Here to read the news article as posted on Yahoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment