Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Enlightenment of Jesus

I have had my beliefs challenged a bit lately. By challenged, I mean a different twist in a philosophical system was brought to my attention and I can't just sweep it under a rug and let it go away. I don't look for things to bring about right / wrong conclusion, I like things that leave the door wide open to allow everyone to believe as they wish.

Being an avid reader, I received a copy of Jesus, A Story Of Enlightenment by Deepak Chopra. I had not read any of Deepak Chopra's book before. He was a featured guest speaker at Mile Hi Church in Lakewood Colorado and I had an opportunity to see him speak. Very interesting, I truly enjoyed his talk. I also received a free copy of this book. I did not know what to expect, but I remained open minded and had fun reading.

This book about Jesus, is first of a work of fiction. There are some references to things that we know about Jesus, but mostly this book is about things we don't know about Jesus. The Bible tells us about Jesus birth, when he was 12 years old, and his ministry around age 30. Deepak Chopra weaves a tale around the missing years of Jesus' life. Chopra also mixes in some Jewish traditions and philosophies, some Roman pressures on the Jewish community, and an interesting plot as Jesus strives toward enlightenment.

This book isn't meant to change any thoughts about who Jesus is, but it provides good enough entertainment to last a couple of days. The confrontation between Jesus and the Devil will stoke your imagination, but not too much, because we already know who won.

No comments:

Post a Comment